Friday, October 10, 2008

Below is a letter sent to the Langley Times a few weeks ago.  It is about my granddaughter and it is precious....

Little sister with a big heart


Published: October 02, 2008 5:00 PM

Updated: October 03, 2008 10:59 AM Editor: This is a tribute to a little girl who entered my life eight years and three days ago. She is my inspiration. She is my star. She is my family. She is a little girl who likes skateboards, Hannah Montana, pillow fights and babies. She likes swimming and she likes dancing. She is the most selfless child I have ever met.

My baby sister, who is not such a baby any more, turned eight years old last Friday. I haven’t bought her a gift yet; I wanted to ask her personally what she would like from me.

We chatted on the phone, all the usual chit chat about how school is going and what kind of cool gifts she received from her many adorable friends. She told me about her new skateboard. She told me about the $200 someone had given her. And she told me about a little boy named Cayleb.

Cayleb is a little boy with cancer (The Times, Aug. 30). I don’t know how my baby sister Lexie knows him, I don’t know what kind of cancer he is living with, I don’t know what his chances of survival are.

All I know is that my little star gave $190 of her happy birthday dollars to this little boy who is suffering.

My grandmother and I were at White Spot when we called Lexie-Loo to wish her a happy birthday. We had just finished buying winter boots and were happy to sit down and relax for an hour. Both of our hearts simultaneously broke and overflowed with love when that little girl told us ever so casually, “I gave the money to Cayleb.”

This little girl doesn’t care about her future car or college education. She knows that today, this minute, is all she can see. And all she can see is a little boy named Cayleb who has far less than she. Health. Life. Hope. A future.

Happy eighth birthday, dear baby sister.
Christina
Langley

No comments: