Friday, October 10, 2008

meet GYPSY BLU the newest addition




Thought we would wait a little longer before getting a new dog but the universe had other plans for us. On Thursday, Oct 2nd we made a fateful trip to TISOL in White Rock for some cat treats for Pommer d'Terror, my awesome cat of 12 years. While cruising the store to see what they had to offer, April discovered the bulletin board and lo and behold, there was an ad for dachshunds for sale and it was a local phone number. April memorized it (which is a first) and used my cel to call the person. Yes, there was only one puppy left, he was 10 weeks old, he is dapple pilebag (never heard of this colouring before) but he has one brown eye and one blue eye. Did this matter?? NO!

April got the address and off we headed to just have a look.. (RIGHT!) All the while April kept asking me what I thought and how I felt about getting a new puppy. Truthfully, I just could not answer at that time. I did not want to influence her decision nor did I really know how I felt. It was so sudden. I just wanted to see the pup then let April make up her own mind. It was love at first sight - totally expected. She held the dog, played with him, talked to the breeder and watched to other dogs in the home. Yes, we did bring him home that night and I only got a few hours to visit him and then my 'Gramma's babysitting services' were required in Nanaimo. So, he is another week older and I haven't seen him since that first meeting. All week I have received phone calls from April, who is so excited at some new adventure Gypsy Blu has had or some cute little trick he has learned. It is just so delightful to hear about him and to hear the excitement in her voice. Coming home to no Porsche was terrible after such a great trip. Gypsy Blu is filling in the hole in our hearts quite nicely.
It seems it was just meant to be. Gypsy Blu was born the day after Porsche died, the ad was right there waiting for April to read it, he was everything she had on her wish list (except she wanted another female) and it is perfect that his eyes are different colours.
My awesome cat has met Gypsy Blu, sniffed around his head then decided it was time to depart for the upper floor. He has been sneaking peeks at Gypsy Blu when he is sleeping in the play pen but there have not been any more face to face confrontations yet. I expect that soon Pommer will come down and eventually they will be friends.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is sooo cute...:)
Sherri.

Anonymous said...

..wanted to add a special welcome from all of us "down under" to the delightful Gypsyblu. As you have written - his arrival was obviously meant to be, and what a wonderful addition to the family! Sarah x